Immigration processes require plenty of paperwork and generally it’s manageable by yourself. However, it may also be an overwhelming experience and many applications have only 1 shot at being accepted, so it becomes crucial that you have every detail in place. A slight overlook might cost you the approval, and this is where immigration attorneys can be a real boon. Immigration laws are complex and there are chances that you may face some problems, which if not handled with experience, can derail your program and cause visa rejections.
Employing a Toronto immigration lawyer is also a job in itself. You would like to get a seasoned professional who can provide you your very best shot. They can’t guarantee you a visa acceptance but can make the process smoother and hassle free, thereby increasing its chances of success.
Tips to Choosing an Immigration Lawyer
Your choice of immigration attorneys can either make or break the situation for you. A fantastic attorney with ample experience and success rate can help you succeed with the program by directing and providing relevant details.
- Request references: Your first point of contact should be family and friends who’ve experienced successful visa acceptances. Ask them to the reference of the immigration lawyers or anyone they know. Getting a attorney who’s known to the acquaintances makes your search simpler.
- National Associations: Log in to the national association site – American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA) – that hosts as members lawyers who practice immigration law. These professionals know the immigration policies thoroughly and can be an excellent help. There are even alternatives to look for professionals in your particular area. Although AILA membership isn’t a requirement, it definitely is a great indicator of the attorney’s proficiency.
- Credentials: It’s extremely important to get an immigration attorney with great credentials and success rate. Ensure to check that the attorney has a license to practice and has a fantastic background and standing. You’ll get this in a local country bar. Also make sure that the professional that you’re hiring hasn’t been subject to any disciplinary actions.
- Shortlist and Interview: From one of the pool of attorneys available, shortlist the ones which you feel strongly about dependent on the background checks and references. It’s a fantastic idea to interview the prospective attorneys you have shortlisted to get the one that fits your requirements. Since immigration law is a market category, pick a attorney who’s knowledgeable about the processes and has expertise in similar cases like yours. It is also possible to ask the attorneys for references to their previous customers and talk to them before making your choice.
- Fees: Last but not the least, consider the fees being charged by the attorneys under account. You wouldn’t need a professional that could possibly be heavy in your pocket. Make certain to check on any extra charges they may have like long distance fees, postage costs and courier charges. Also note that some attorneys charge on an hourly basis and some have a fixed fee.